FEMA gives jobs to Wounded Warriors (disabled veterans) through the Schedule A direct hiring authority.
FEMA and Veterans
FEMA is committed to providing job opportunities for veterans. Specifically, FEMA:
- Connects with veterans support groups and organizations that help educate and employ veterans.
- Follows the Executive Order on the Employment of Veterans in the Federal Government. This Executive Order stresses the importance of attracting and hiring veterans and assisting transitioning service members interested in civil service careers.
Applying to FEMA as a Veteran
Veterans with competitive status usually get hiring preference under Title 5 of the United States Code.
To get Veterans’ Preference you must:
- State your status on your application.
- Send documentation, such as a copy of a DD-214, Certificate of Release, or Discharge from Active Duty (Member 4 copy).
- If you are a disabled veteran:
- Submit an SF-15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference.
- Send documentation from the military service or a current letter of disability from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- If you need a reasonable accommodation when you apply, let the point of contact listed in the job announcement know as soon as possible.
Wounded Warriors (Disabled Veterans)
FEMA gives jobs to Wounded Warriors (disabled veterans) through the Schedule A direct hiring authority. They must have a service-related disability of 30% or more. The hiring process is streamlined and non-competitive.
For more information on Schedule A, please see Increasing Federal Employment of People with Disabilities or contact the FEMA Selective Placement Coordinator.
- Wounded Warrior Project
- Warriors to Work - The Wounded Warrior Project program - provides career guidance and support services to Wounded Warriors interested in returning to civilian work
- Army Wounded Warrior Program - The official U.S. Army program - helps and stands up for injured soldiers
- Air Force Wounded Warrior Program - The Air Force’s wounded warrior support programs
- Marine Corps Wounded Warrior Regiment - The Marine Corps’ regiment to help the wounded and their families
- Military Family Program - Resources for soldiers and their families
- Veteran's Preference Advisor - Determine eligibility for 10-point preference hiring on the U.S. Department of Labor site
- Feds Hire Vets - Federal Employment information for Veterans
- Vet Success - U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs site